Last Updated on
Google recently unveiled Android 8.0 Oreo in an event held in New York. Initially, Android 8.0 Oreo is rolled out for Pixel and Nexus devices. Other devices will also start getting updates of Android 8.0 Oreo, here is the list of devices to get Android 8.0 Oreo update. However, thanks to a Senior XDA Member vasishath you can now update Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo. It’s an unofficial AOSP custom ROM but it’s quite stable and could be used as a daily driver. By updating your Xiaomi Mi 3 or Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo you can enjoy all the latest features of Oreo on your Mi 3 and Mi 4. Android Oreo has brought many improvements along with some very hand features like revamped notifications system, Pip (Picture in Picture) and Autofill APIs.
This is not an official release by Xiaomi, therefore, to update your Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo you need to have the root access and CWM must be installed on your device.
So, if you are ready to update Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreothen follow our step by step guide carefully.
Without any further ado, let’s jump straight to the guide on How to update Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo.
However before proceeding please take note that this guide is only meant to be used on Mi 3 and Mi 4.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must be rooted and ClockworkMod recovery must be installed.
- The bootloader on Mi3 and Mi 4 must be unlocked.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download Mi 3 and Mi 4 USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How To Update Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo
We have tried to keep to very simple, for that reason we have put the guide step by step. You just need to follow every step carefully.
- Download Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM and GAPPS on your computer.
- Connect your Mi 3 or Mi 4 with the computer using USB cable.
- Copy/Paste Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM and Gapps.zip files to your SD Card. Make sure to place files on the root of SD Card and not in any folder.
- Then turn off your device and disconnect the USB Cable.
- Now get into recovery mode. Turn On the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Buttons together. Keep the buttons pressed until you see Android Logo on your screen.
- Then in recovery mode perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe Data/factory reset. Use volume rockers for navigation and power button for option selection.
- Now, go to Advanced Option and clear the cache by selecting wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- After performing Step 6 and 7, navigate back to the main recovery mode screen and select install zip from SD card.
- Now choose Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM zip file, which you copied to your SD Card, and start the installation process.
- Repeat the same process for installing GAPPS after you are done with Step 9.
- That’s it! Now simply navigate to Recovery Mode Main Screen and select “Reboot System Now”. First boot can take up to five minutes.
That’s it! Your Xiaomi Mi 3 or Mi 4 is now updated to Android 8.0 Oreo.