Last Updated on
It’s time to update your old Galaxy S2 to Android 8.0 Oreo. Yes, you read it right! Now you can update Galaxy S2 to Android 8.0 Oreo via Lineage OS 15 Custom ROM. You won’t find Galaxy S2 in Android 8.0 Oreo update list of Samsung. But thanks to senior XDA member, rINanDO, you can now install Android Oreo on Galaxy S2 based on Lineage OS 15 custom ROM developed by rINanDO. By installing this custom ROM on Galaxy S2, you will be able to enjoy all the official features of Android 8.0 Oreo along with many aftermarket awesome features developed by Lineage. We must mention here that ROM might get little slower due to the fact that Galaxy S2 is a device from 2011. But this shouldn’t stop you from updating, keep on reading to get the full detailed guide.
By following our guide on How to Update Galaxy S2 to Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM, you will be able to enjoy the latest Android Oreo flavor on Galaxy S2. This is not an official update by Samsung and just a custom ROM. Therefore, in order to install it, your device must be rooted and CWM must be installed on it.
This guide is only for the global variant Galaxy S2 I9100. Check the model number of your Galaxy S2 from Settings > About Phone.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must be rooted and ClockworkMod recovery must be installed.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download Galaxy S2 USB Drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Update Galaxy S2 to Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM
We have tried to keep to very simple, for that reason we have put the guide step by step. You just need to follow every step carefully.
- Download Android 8.0 Lineage OS 15 Custom ROM and GAPPS for Galaxy S2.
- Connect your device with the computer using USB cable.
- Copy/Paste Android 8.0 Linage OS 15 Custom ROM.zip and Gapps.zip files to your SD Card. Make sure to place files on the root of SD Card and not in any folder.
- Then turn off your device and disconnect the USB Cable.
- Now get into recovery mode. Turn On the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together.
- Then in recovery mode perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe Data/factory reset. Use volume rockers for navigation and power button for option selection.
- Now, go to Advanced Option and clear the cache by selecting wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- After performing Step 6 and 7, navigate back to the main recovery mode screen and select install zip from SD card.
- Now choose Android 8.0 Lineage OS 15 Custom ROM zip file, which you copied to your SD Card, and start the installation process.
- Repeat the same process for installing GAPPS after you are done with Step 9.
- That’s it! Now simply navigate to Recovery Mode Main Screen and select “Reboot System Now”. First boot can take up to five minutes.
You have successfully updated your Galaxy S2 to Android 8.0 Oreo Custom ROM.