Last Updated on
As we know, nowadays all flagships tend to have a screen not smaller than 5.5-inch. The bigger the better is the policy of OEMs. Despite the fact that there many people in the market who just want their 4.7-inch screens back. Because with big screens reaching for the top of the display to pull down the status bar or tap on an app’s toolbar can be difficult. To tackle this issue smartphone manufacturers like Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Xiaomi and LG all offer one handed mode. But unfortunately, this feature is not part of every other Android device out there. Even the phones like Google Pixel 2 XL doesn’t have one handed mode, despite its big 6.0-inch screen. Anyhow, in this Android Tutorial we will tell you How to use Google Pixel 2 XL with One hand. Not only Google Pixel 2 XL, this method can be used on Any Android Device running or Android 4.3 or above.
XDA was working on an app called “One Handed Mode”. This app is perfect for those who want to have one handed mode on their Android phones without root or Xposed Framwork installed. The app is great and serves the purpose very well. Unfortunately it won’t work perfectly with every app, but still, it’s worth a try since it worked with the majority of apps which use on daily basis. The One Handed Mode is kept simple and straight without any unnecessary options. You can say that One Handed Mode by XDA Brings Apple’s Reachability Feature to Any Android Phone.
Features of One Handed Mode
- Show bubble on boot
- Automatically adjust DPI to better fit screen contents
- Customize One-Handed Mode window, support for left-handed window
- Drag to dismiss bubble
- Disables One-Handed Mode on lock screen, when pressing home button, or when in landscape mode
The app is available for free download from Google Play Store. But the free version is restricted to setup, and test in your favorite apps. However, if you want to enable the floating bubble then you will have to purchase the app for just $0.99. The developers work really hard to bring this app to you, we think $0.99 is not much to ask for. Now we are assuming that you have purchased the app, therefore, we will jump straight to the guide and tell you How to Install One Handed Mode on any Android device. This app doesn’t require any Xposed module or root access, but you will have to pass an ADB command to make it work. Passing ADB command doesn’t void warranty, so proceed with ease.
How to Install One Handed Mode on Any Android Device
After installation of this app, you can use Google Pixel 2 XL with One hand.
- First of all, install One Handed Mode on your Android Device.
- Make sure that “Developer Options” and “USB Debugging” is enabled on your device.
- Connect your phone to the computer using your manufacturer provided USB cable.
- Change your USB connection mode to Transfer files.
- Now Setup and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on Your PC.
- Open the platform-tools folder and Hold shift and right-click in this folder to open up the context menu. Select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open command window here.”
- In terminal enter the following command: adb devices
- You should see an Allow USB Debugging? prompt on your phone. Tap OK
- Re-enter the command: adb devices
- Now, enter this command: adb shell pm grant com.xda.onehandedmode android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- Tap the checkmark button in the One-Handed Mode app!
That’s it! One Handed Mode by XDA Developers is installed on your device. Now you can use Google Pixel 2 XL with One hand.
Generally, One Handed Mode is supposed to work on any Android device. But it’s specifically been tested on below-mentioned devices.
- OnePlus 5 running Android 7.1.2 Nougat
- Google Pixel XL running Android 7.1.2, 8.0, and 8.1
- Google Pixel 2 XL running Android 8.0 and 8.1
Please let us know in the comments section on which device you tried One Handed Mode.