Today we will see how to unlock bootloader on Moto G5. Moto is the name which is being introduced by Lenovo after it took over Motorola. Since the takeover, Lenovo has launched very impressive smartphones under a reasonable price tag. Moto G5 is one of them, it’s an entry-level smartphone with some really impressive hardware. The phone comes with 5.0-inch Full HD touch-screen display which produces 441ppi. Moto G5 is powered by a humble Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 Processor clocked at 1.4 GHz. Lenovo released Moto G5 in two configurations — 16GB of internal storage with 2GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage with 3GB of RAM. In the camera department, it has 13MP rear shooter along with a 5MP front camera. It comes with a dedicated memory card slot, which means you can expand your memory up to 256GB.
In the software department, it comes with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box with planned Android 8.0 Oreo update. Moto G5 gives near to stock Android experience, with minimum bloatware. However, if you want to tweak your software even further and push the Moto G5 to its limits then you definitely want to root and install Custom Recovery on your device. The process of any kind of tweaking and optimization starts with an unlocked bootloader. That’s the reason we are here today, as in the guide below we will tell you how to unlock bootloader on Moto G5.
Be warned that unlocking bootloader on your Moto G5 will void its warranty. If you think its work taking a risk then proceed further.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Moto G5 USB Drivers on your Windows PC and MAC.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Setup and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on Your PC
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Moto G5
- Go to ADB and Fastboot folder and open the command prompt there. Hold shift key + Right click> Select Open Command Window here.
- Now reboot your Moto G5 into fastboot mode. To do so, power off your device. Press and hold volume button for a few seconds, followed by the Power key for a while and then release keys.
- Once your phone is in Fastboot Mode, connect it to the computer via USB Cable.
- Now type “fastboot oem get_unlock_data” in Command Window and press enter. This command will return a string. Copy this string in a notepad, and remove all the spaces in the string.
- Now go to Motorola’s official website to get hold of the unlock code. Register on Motorola’s official web page.
- Once you are registered successfully, enter the string which you copied into the unlock webpage and then click on “Can my device be unlocked”.
- Now press the “request unlock key” button and select “I agree”. Unlock key will be sent to you directly to your email id.
- Go to command window and type “fastboot oem unlock unlock key“. Replace unlock key with the key you received on your email id.
That’s it! This is how you unlock bootloader on Moto G5.