Samsung has finally updated Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android 8.0 Oreo. These are the flagship devices of 2016 and since their launch, they have only received one major update, Android Nougat. The devices were released with Android Marshmallow out of the box, however, Samsung was generous enough to update these devices to Android Nougat in 2017. Now, when people are trying out Android P DP1 on their devices, the Korean manufacturer has updated it’s one of the most successful duo to Android 8.0 Oreo. In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you How to Update Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android 8.0 Oreo via Odin.
Samsung has always been very slow in rolling out updates for its users. Google is already done with rolling out Android 8.1 Oreo and Samsung is just rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo for its flagship devices. Anyhow, it’s good that it finally happening. The update is being rolled out via OTA update system, which means the rollout will be in batches and not all the users are going to get updated at once. So, if you haven’t received Android 8.0 Oreo OTA update for Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge then you must be looking for a manual way to update your Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android Oreo. You have come to the right place, below is a comprehensive step by step guide on how to update Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android 8.0 Oreo via Odin.
Odin is an official flashing tool for Samsung devices, therefore, there is no need for any sort of Custom Recovery or root access.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge USB drivers on your PC.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Android 8.0 Oreo Firmware Files for Galaxy S7
- Android 8.0 Oreo Firmware Files for Galaxy S7 Edge
- Download Latest Odin
How to Update Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Extract the downloaded firmware file on your computer to get the AP, CP, BL and HOME_CSC files.
- Now, launch Odin on your computer and click on AP tab and select AP file. Select CP file in CP tab, BL file in BL tab and HOME_CSC file in CSC tab.
- Once all the files are correctly selected in Odin, power off your device and boot it in Download Mode. To so, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons together.
- Now, connect your phone to the PC via USB cable while it’s still in download mode.
- In Odin tool one of the ID: COM boxes will turn Blue. This means your phone is connected successfully.
- Before clicking on Start make sure Auto Reboot and Reset Time options are selected, but re-partition option must NOT be ticked.
- Click Start button to initiate the installation process. The whole flashing process could take 5 to 10 minutes, so there is no need to panic. You have got it right.
- After, the installation is done your phone will reboot automatically.
The home screen, which you will see after the boot, will be of Android 8.0 Oreo. Congratulations, you have successfully updated your Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge to Android 8.0 Oreo.