Last Updated on
In the presence of Huawei and Xiaomi, OnePlus has fought really hard to make its place in the market of affordable flagship devices. The latest flagship OnePlus 6 has been out for just a few days and it’s already possible for the users to root OnePlus 6. However, at the moment, there is no working build of TWRP available for OnePlus 6, therefore, you will have to resort to a patched boot image and Magisk to achieve root access. Before you get to root your OnePlus 6, you need to unlock bootloader on OnePlus 6. So basically, with the help of this guide, you will be able to unlock bootloader and root OnePlus 6. We have already explained many times the benefits of root access and unlocked bootloader, so we will cut that portion and jump straight to the guide on how to Unlock Bootloader and Root OnePlus 6.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos
- Download and install Latest OnePlus 6 USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- OEM unlocking should also be enabled.
- Setup and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Your OnePlus 6 should be running on Oxygen OS 5.1.5.
How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6
- First of all, power off your OnePlus 6 and boot into fastboot mode.
- To do so, turn on the phone by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Up buttons. Don’t release the buttons until your device is booted in fastboot mode/download mode.
- Once your phone is in Fastboot Mode, connect it to the computer via USB Cable.
- Go to ADB and Fastboot folder and open the command prompt there. Hold shift key + Right click> Select Open Command Window here.
- Now type in the following command to display the list of devices: fastboot devices
- Now type in the following command in Command Window: fastboot oem unlock
- Here you will see the bootloader warning page. Use Volume rockers to select the ‘Yes’ and then press the Power Button.
That’s it! You have unlocked Bootlader of OnePlus 6. Now we can go on and root OnePlus 6 with the help of patched boot image.
How to Root OnePlus 6 with Magisk
- First of all, download the patched boot image for the OnePlus 6 running on Oxygen OS 5.1.5. Transfer patched boot image to ADB/Fastboot folder on your PC.
- Reboot your OnePlus 6 in fastboot mode again, by using the exact same method explained above.
- Connect your phone to the PC and Go to ADB and Fastboot folder and open the command prompt there. Hold shift key + Right click> Select Open Command Window here.
- Now execute the following command in terminal: fastboot boot patched_boot_magisk1642.img
- Your device will boot now as it normally does.
- Download Magisk Manager APK and install it as you would install any other APK on your device.
- Launch the Magisk Manager from your launcher, it will show you that your device rooted. It’s permanent however and you need to perform a couple of more steps to make it permanent.
- Go to the Magisk Manager Settings and tap on Update channel then change it to Beta.
- On the Magisk main screen, check the boxes next to Preserve force encryption and Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity.
- Tap on Install and select Direct Install and wait for the image to be patched.
That’s it! Reboot your device when prompted. This is how you can root OnePlus 6 and unlock its bootloader.