Last Updated on
An unofficial LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM for OnePlus 6 has dropped on us from nowhere. It’s been just two months since this beast got released and it has already got a LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM. So, it’s a treat for those who always love to pass on the OEM ROM and opt for Custom ROMs instead. In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you How to Install LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM on OnePlus 6.
“LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.”
This is not an official release, this LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM for OnePlus 6 has been compiled by LuK1337, based on the Android Open Source Project. The ROM is still in active development, since its launch it has already received nearly 15 updates. It means the developer is constantly taking feedback from the community and trying his level best to fix all the reported issues. Despite that, the ROM is stable enough to be used as your daily driver on OnePlus 6. However, before you make your mind to switch be noted that you will lose out on most of the Oxygen OS tweaks and features such as the gesture navigation. LineageOS is known for its near to stock Android Experience, therefore, they don’t try very hard to replicate the features like Gesture Navigation. Anyhow, you still get to keep an Always On Display or Lift to wake features.
As we mentioned earlier, it’s an unofficial release and is under active development at the moment. So, proceed at your own risk from here on. Neither Android Tutorial nor the developer of the ROM will be held responsible if you damage your device during the course. Now that you have been warned, let’s proceed to the guide on How to Install LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM on OnePlus 6.
Table of Contents
How to Install LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM on OnePlus 6
- Download LineageOS 15.1 for OnePlus 6 and GApps from the links given in the ‘Downloads’ section.
- Once downloaded, transfer both the zip files to your OnePlus 6.
- Now reboot your OnePlus 6 into recovery mode. To do so, turn it off completely. Then turn it on by Pressing and holding Power and Volume down buttons together. When the phone vibrates, let go off the Power Button and continue to hold the Volume Down button until you see the TWRP splash screen.
- In the recovery, select Wipe > Advanced Wipe, then select just the data and cache partitions and swipe at the bottom to wipe them.
- Now Tap on Install and select the downloaded LineageOS 15.1 and swipe at the bottom to flash it. Select Install again and this time flash the TWRP installer zip.
- Go to Reboot and select This would reboot your device into Recovery mode.
- Now Flash GApps same as you flash the ROM and TWRP.
- Reboot the device and you are done.
If you didn’t like LineageOS 15.1 Custom ROM on your OnePlus 6 then you can always go on and flash stock OxygenOS. Follow our guide: How to Restore OnePlus 6 to Stock OxygenOS