When it comes to receiving Android updates, Google Pixel devices are the first ones on the receiving end. Android is developed by Google and naturally, the devices designed by Google are going to be the first ones to receive the update. No matter, if it’s a small security update or a major incremental Android update, Google Pixel devices, will receive it on a priority basis. Moreover, these Google devices run on Stock Android out of the box. Most people love the Vanilla Android experience, but still, there are many other reasons which compel a user to root the Pixel Device. The problem here is that this is a constant struggle between updates and root access. There’s also a safer, better way to install latest Google software update on rooted Google Pixel devices, without losing root. In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you How to Install Latest Google Software Update on Rooted Google Pixel Devices.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options.
- Install Google Pixel USB Drivers for Windows PC or Mac.
- Backup all important data.
- SDK Platform-Tools – Extract the downloaded archive and you should get a folder named platform-tools.
- Official factory images from Google developer website
- Download TWRP for your Pixel Device. Below are the links to some famous Pixel Devices.
- Magisk zip
How to Install Latest Google Software Update on Rooted Google Pixel Devices
- Download Official factory image for your device from the link given in downloads section. Make sure you download the full factory image, not an OTA update.
- Extract the zip file and you will get another zip file along with some image files.
- Move all the files in the extracted folder now into the previously extracted platform-tools.
- Now turn off your Pixel Device and boot it into bootloader mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons.
- Connect your device to the PC while it’s still in bootloader mode.
- Launch the ADB interface by launching a command prompt or terminal window inside the platform-tools.
- Now simply execute the following command: flash-all.bat
- This will start the process, and you may see your device reboot multiple times.
By the time update is done you would have lost the root access and custom recovery. But don’t worry, simply follow the below steps to restore root and recovery on your Pixel Device.
How to Restore Root and Recovery on Google Pixel Device After Updating
- Download the appropriate TWRP recovery image for your device. If you want to root the device as well, download Magisk zip as well. Download links for both are provided in the Downloads Section.
- Now Reboot your Pixel Device into Bootloader mode.
- Flash the TWRP image file using the following command: fastboot boot twrp.img (Rename twrp with the actual filename which you have downloaded for your device)
- Now push both Magisk zip and twrp zip files to the tmp folder by executing the below commands one by one. (Again! Don’t forget to rename the files to the actual ones you have downloaded.)
- adb push magisk.zip /tmp
- adb push twrp.zip /tmp
- Now install both TWRP and Magisk using the commands given below.
- adb shell twrp install /tmp/twrp.zip
- adb shell twrp install /tmp/magisk.zip
- Once done, reboot your device.
You have successfully updated your rooted Pixel Device.