Sony Xperia XA was released last year in June. It’s a mid-range device with pretty decent specs. The phone has a 5.0-inch 720×1280 display with pretty adequate 294 ppi. Further, the device is powered by a MediaTek MT6755 Helio P10 CPU and a very good Mali-T860MP2 GPU. Xperia XA comes with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. If also has a microSD slot which supports up-to a memory card of 256GB. On the back, it has a pretty decent 13MP camera and on the front 8MP camera is installed. Sony Xperia XA runs on Android 6.01 Marshmallow out of the box with promised Android 7.0 Nougat Update.
The good news today is that TWRP recovery is now available for all the Sony Xperia XA variants. So, now you will be able to install TWRP on Sony Xperia XA and unlock the true potential of this device. Another advantage of installing TWRP on Sony Xperia XA is that you will be able to root the device. To flash TWRP on Sony Xperia XA you have to have an unlocked bootloader and enable OEM Unlocking on Xperia XA.
So, if you are ready then follow our guide on How to Install TWRP and Root Xperia XA.
- Make sure the ADB, Fastboot Drivers are installed on your PC.
- Download Sony Xperia XA USB Drivers.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Backup all important data as unlocking bootloader on Sony Xperia XA will delete all of your data.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during unlock procedure. This might damage your device permanently.
- Download latest SuperSU.zip file
- Download the recovery and boot file according to your phone
Note: Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img.
How to Install TWRP and Root Xperia XA
- Copy/Paste the recovery.img in the ADB/Fastboot directory.
- Now connect your Sony Xperia XA Plus with the computer via USB Cable.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Now enter the following commands one by one. After typing in each command press Enter.
- adbreboot bootloader
- fastboot flash recovery img
- adb reboot recovery
That’s it! TWRP recovery is installed on your Sony Xperia XA. Now we can easily root Sony Xperia XA.
How to Root Sony Xperia XA
- Copy the downloaded SuperSU.zip file to your phones internal or external memory.
- Reboot your Sony Xperia XA into recovery mode.
- Turn your device off.
- At the same time, press the Power button and Volume down until your device vibrates.
- Quickly release the Power button, but keep pressing Volume down.
- When you see the screen shown in the image below, release Volume down.
- In TWRP recovery main menu, tap Install and locate SuperSU.zip file and flash it.
- Once the installation is done, reboot your device and that’s about it. Your Xperia XA is rooted now.