Honor 8 Pro is the latest addition to the original Huawei Honor 8 Series. The other two devices are Honor 8 and Honor 8 Lite. The good news is that TWRP is now developed for Huawei Honor 8 Pro. The procedure which we are going to lay out in this post will work for all three variants Honor 8, Honor 8 Lite and now for Honor 8 Pro. Installing TWRP and rooting your devices is very important if you love to install custom ROMs, want to try custom kernels or just like to tinker with the Android system. Without root access and custom recovery (TWRP), none of aforementioned is possible.
Anyhow, like every other Android Device, Honor 8 (Pro) (Lite) comes with stock recovery installed. But users who need something extra, stock recovery is not enough. To install Custom ROMs and flashable zips you need to have a Custom Recovery installed.
So, if you are ready then follow our guide on How to root and install TWRP on Honor 8 (Pro) (Lite). But first, we need to unlock bootloader on Honor 8 (Pro)(Lite). Again the procedure for unlocking bootloader will work for all three variants.
- Make sure the ADB, Fastboot and USB Drivers are installed on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Backup all important data as unlocking bootloader on Honor 8 Pro will delete all of your data.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during unlock procedure. This might damage your device permanently.
- Note down the IMEI number and serial number in Settings > About > Status.
- Dial *#*#1357946#*#* on your phone and note down the Product ID.
Get Unlock Code to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Honor 8 Pro:
- Signup/Login on Huawei’s unlock website.
- Go to Downloads and select Unlock Bootloader.
- Here fill the form using all the information you noted down. (IMEI, Serial Number, and Product ID).
- After completing the form click on Commit and then you will see the unlock code. Note it down.
How to Unlock Bootloader On Honor 8 Pro Using ADB
- Now connect your Honor 8 Pro to the PC.
- Open the ADB folder and open the command window there by press and hold the “Shift Key” and right-click anywhere in the window. And enter the following command in command prompt.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone will reboot now and enter into the Bootloader Mode.
- Enter the following command to finally unlock bootloader on Honor 8 Pro.
- fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
That’s it! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Honor 8 Pro.
- Download latest TWRP for Honor 8
- Download latest TWRP for Honor 8 Pro
- Download Fastboot / ADB package for Windows
How to Install TWRP on Huawei Honor 8 Pro
- Extract the downloaded Fastboot / ADB package anywhere in the Windows.
- Now connect your Honor 8 Pro Plus with the computer via USB Cable.
- Download TWRP IMG and save it in the same directory where you extracted Fastboot / ADB package files.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Type in the following command and press Enter.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your Honor 8 Pro will now boot into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply type in the following command and press enter.
- fastbootflash recovery twrp-3.1.0-0-vienna.img
That’s it! TWRP is now installed on your Huawei Honor 8 Pro. Now you need to Root Honor 8 Pro. Rooting the device gives you admin access and enables you to play with the core of Android OS. You can install Custom ROMs and make a lot of customizations. Here’s a complete guide which will tell step by step how to root Honor 8 Pro.
How to Root Huawei Honor 8 Pro
- Download SuperSU Zip file.
- Move the downloaded Zip file to your device.
- Now boot your device into Recovery Mode. To do so, Turn Off your device and then boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously.
- You will see TWRP Recovery as earlier you installed TWRP Custom Recovery.
- Tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file which you transferred to the device.
- Swipe right to confirm. This will start the installation process.
- After installation is completed, select Wipe Dalvik/Cache.
- Finally, reboot the device.
That’s it! Your Honor 8 Pro is rooted now.