Not long ago Motorola released official Android 7.0 Nougat Update for Moto G4 Plus. This was the first device to receive Android N update. Therefore, if you have Moto G4 Plus and not update yet to Android 7.0 Nougat then please check our guide on How to Install Android 7.0 Nougat on Moto G4 Plus. However, if you are not interested in Official firmware and want free of bloatware and customized experience of Android 7.0 Nougat then you will have to flash a Custom ROM based on Android 7.0 Nougat to your Moto G4 Plus. But the problem is, to flash any Custom ROM on Moto G4 Plus first you will have to install a Custom Recovery and Root your Moto G4 Plus. We have got you covered here since in this guide we will tell you How to Install TWRP and Root Moto G4 Plus on Android Nougat.
By following our step by step guide you will be able to root and install TWRP on your Moto G4 Plus without any issue. Before you root Moto G4 Plus on Nougat, please keep in mind that its unofficial and doing so will void the warranty of your device. You can always Unroot your Android device to restore the warranty.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Latest Moto G4 Plus USB Drivers on your PC.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Unlock bootloader of Moto G4 Plus. Please visit Official Motorola website.
- Setup Android SDK on your PC to get ADB and Fastboot working.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Open SuperSU file without unzipping, now search and open txt file inside.
- Inside the config.txt file find eng verity crypt text and replace it with eng noverity nocrypt.
- Save and close the file
How to Install TWRP and Root Moto G4 Plus on Android Nougat
Step 1: Transfer the SuperSU zip file to your Moto G4 plus
Step 2: Rename Moto G4 plus TWRP Recovery file to recovery.img.
Step 3: Move recovery.img to platform-tools folder in the Android SDK folder.
Step 4: After image is moved to Android SDK folder, connect Moto G4 plus to your Computer via USB cable.
Step 5: Open a command prompt window from inside the platform-tools folder and type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Step 6: After the bootloader screen appears on the screen of your Moto G4 plus, type below command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 7: When the recovery is flashed to the device, give the following command:
Step 8: Just reboot your Moto G4 Plus into recovery mode to flash SuperSU with below command:
adb reboot recovery
Step 9: Now simply tap on the Install option in TWRP, browse UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.xx.zip where you’ve transferred. Select it.
It will take some time, wait till it’s flashed after confirming the installation.
Step 10: Now Navigate to Reboot > System option to reboot Moto G4 Plus.
That’s it! Your Moto G4 Plus is rooted and TWRP is also installed.