Today, we will tell you how to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime. The Redmi 4 Prime was released back in November 2016 with a full-HD 5.0-inch screen. The set is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 along with 3 gigs of RAM. On the software end, it runs on MIUI 8 which is built on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. However, to unleash the real power of this budget beast you need to have a custom recovery installed and have root access on it. MIUI 8 provides you a very good user experience. But there are users who don’t like the stock look of their smartphone and always want to try custom ROMs. This is where the root access and TWRP Recovery comes in handy.
With TWRP Recovery installed on Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime, you can try all sorts of custom ROMs and install modified packages on your smartphone to get the best possible performance. However, tweaking the OS is a risky affair so we always recommend to take a proper backup before tinkering with the Android system.
So, now, without any further ado let’s jump straight to the step by step guide on How to Install TWRP and Root Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime.
- Setup and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on Your PC.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Download Xiaomi USB Drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Unlock your Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime’s bootloader.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during unlock procedure. This might damage your device permanently.
How To Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime
- Connect your Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime with the computer via USB Cable.
- Download TWRP IMG and save it in the same directory where you setup Fastboot / ADB. Rename the file to recovery.img.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Now, in the command window type in the following commands one by one.
- adb devices
- adb reboot bootloader
- fastboot devices
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot reboot recovery
- That’s it! Your Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime shall boot into TWRP recovery mode now.
TWRP recovery is installed on your Redmi 4 Prime. Now it’s time to root Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime
- First of all download SuperSU.zip and Locate Lazyflasher, and copy both of them to the internal storage of your device.
- Now disconnect your phone from your computer.
- In TWRP recovery menu, tap on Install >> Install Image >> Locate Lazyflasher >> Select this file and swipe the screen to flash.
- After flashing Lazyflasher get back to TWRP main menu.
- Now again tap Install >> Local and select SuperSU.zip file >> swipe the screen to flash.
- Flashing SuperSU will actually root your Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime. Reboot your device now.
That’s it! You have successfully rooted and installed TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime.