Android O Developer’s Preview was released back in March. The purpose of developers preview is that app developers could make sure that their developed apps will work fine when the latest Android is released. Therefore, Android O cannot be used as your daily driver at the moment. Anyways, the most distinctive feature of Android O is Customizable Nav Bar, Android users really long for this feature. In Android O Nav Bar Customization is located in System UI Tuner. The good news is, Nav Bar Customization is not only restricted to Android. Nougat users can also Customize nav bar on their devices. Here we will guide you on How to customize the nav bar in Android 7.X Nougat.
It turned out that the commands which are used in Android O developers Preview also works with Android Nougat 7.X. There is an application Custom Navigation Bar developed by an XDA Member paphonb. With this app, you can easily Customize nav bar on Android Nougat. All you have to do is to install the App and send a command to get going, you can see the steps for How to customize the nav bar in Android 7.X Nougat below.
You don’t need a rooted device in order to install Custom Navigation Bar. The app will work with any device running Android Nougat. Just keep in mind that you need to have stock or near to stock ROM installed on your Device.
- Not working on ResurrectionRemix, Beanstalk, AospExtended or anything that uses DirtyUnicorns smartbar
- Not working on Touchwiz, EMUI, LG UX
- Working on Android 7, 7.1, O preview
- Working on LinageOS
- Working on Nexus devices
- Working on Sony Xperia devices
- Add custom buttons to your navigation bar
- Customizable navbar layout
- Tasker integration for contextual navbar
- Easy to setup
- No root or xposed required
- Google Nexus 6
- Google Nexus 5X
- Google Nexus 6P
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel XL
- OnePlus 3
- OnePlus 3T
- Sony Xperia phones
Now without any further a due, lets jump straight to the guide on How to customize the nav bar in Android 7.X Nougat.
How to customize the nav bar in Android 7.X Nougat
- Install Custom Navigation Bar from Google Play Store.
- Then grant it WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission by issuing the following command in ADB:
- adb shell pm grant xyz.paphonb.systemuituner android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
- Now open the App from your App Drawer.
- Custom Navigation bar app will now determine that whether it supports your device or not. The app will attempt to show “Next” key in the center of nav bar, if it shows up then you can customize nav bar on Android Nougat. If not, the app will tell you that you’re out of luck.
- That’s it! you can now customize nav bar on Nougat.