Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) is a protocol used by Windows Operating System to send and receive files from portable devices. This feature is available by default in Windows and Android devices use MTP to send and receive files from Windows Operating System. MTP connections worked flawlessly with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 but since the launch of Windows 10 and especially after the anniversary update MTP connection problems have become a real problem. Error messages like “MTP USB Device driver failed”, “MTP USB device not installing”, “MTP not recognized” or Code 28 has become more frequent. If you have also faced any of these errors then let’s try to fix MTP driver installation on Windows 10. Before we get into some alternate methods first let’s try the basics.
- Try to switch the USB Ports, most of the times this simple trick works.
- Switching USB Cables might fix the problem as well.
- Last but not least, try to reboot your PC. This simple action pays off most of the times.
If none of the above worked then it’s time to try some other things.
How to Fix MTP driver Installation on Windows 10
1: Install wpdmtp.inf
- Press and hold the Windows Key, while holding it press R. Now type %systemroot%\INF in the box and hit Enter.
- Now type inf in top right search bar of Window.
- Once the file is located, right click on the inf file and click on Install. Select Yes if asked, “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”
- That’s it! Now try connecting your MTP device again.
2: Install MTP USB Device Driver
- Press and hold the Windows Key, while holding it Press R. In the opened Run Box type msc and hit Enter. This will open the Device Manager, here locate Portable Devices and Expand it to locate your device. Make sure your MTP device is connected to the PC otherwise it won’t show under Portable Devices.
- Now right click on your MTP device and choose Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Now click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
- From the options presented select MTP USB Device from the Window and click next.
- Now follow the installation wizard to install it.
3: Download and Install the Media Feature Pack
This step is for users who have N and KN version of Windows 10 installed. These versions of Windows doesn’t offer Media player and some related technologies to the end user. Installing Media Feature Pack might solve MTP Driver Installation Issue. Visit Microsoft’s website to download the appropriate Media Feature Pack.
We hope that after going through the post you have fixed your MTP Driver Installation Issue. Please let us know which one of the trick worked for you.