An Android Package Kit File, which is also known as APK file is the package file format used by the Android operating system for distribution and installation of mobile apps. It’s just like Windows uses .exe file and MAC uses .dmg for distribution and installation of programs. In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you how to install APK file on an Android device.
Most of the times we download our apps and games directly from Play Store. Therefore, we never get to see the files having .apk as an extension. But there are many scenarios in which you need to download an APK and side-load it on your Android device. Hereby side-load we mean install it on your Android device. For example, there is a game which is not available for your region. In this case, you can download the APK and install it on your device. Despite the fact, that the game was not being made available in your region. Also, sometimes you don’t like an updated version of a specific app. The good news is that you don’t have to get stuck with the updated version, you can always download the older version APK and install it.
The most important thing to be considered when downloading APK is that you download it from a credible website. There are hundreds and hundreds of websites which provide malicious APKs just to infect your mobile with malware. We at, Android Tutorial, always try to your provide you clean and trustable APK files.
There are two methods of installing an APK file on an Android device. You can install it from your Computer or from your Android device. We are going to tell you both ways.
How to Install APK File From Your Computer
- First of all, search and download the APK file you need to install on your Android device. Save the file in an easy to find location, for example, your Desktop.
- Now, on your device go to Menu > Settings > Security >and check Unknown Sources to allow your phone to install apps from sources other than the Google Play Store.
- Connect your device to the computer via a USB cable. Connect it as Media Device.
- Then, find your phone’s folder on your computer. It will be in ‘My Computer’ or ‘Computer’ on Windows (PC).
- Copy the downloaded APK file in any folder of your choice in your Android Device.
- Now, search for the copied APK file on your device. Tap it, then hit
That’s it! APK file is installed on your Android device. Now let’s see how to install APK file from your Android Device.
How to Install APK File From Your Android Device
- Open any browser on your Android Device.
- Search and download the APK file you need install.
- Once it’s downloaded, open Downloads, tap on the APK file and tap Yes when prompted.
- The app will start installing on your Android device.
Note: No matter you are installing from a computer or Android device, you will need to make sure that third-party apps are allowed on your device.