After the successful launch of the LG G4, the South Korean giant released a beefed up LG G4 known as the LG V10. The phone had almost the same specifications as the younger brother with exception of upgraded storage, RAM and the screen size. The LG V10 proved to be a successful device and was adored by the common consumers as well as the power users who couldn’t wait to get their hands on the phone and tweak it out.
In less than a month of its official release, LG V10 finally saw a custom recovery as well as complete root access. Today, we are going to talk about how you can root your LG V10, do keep in mind that rooting the phone requires you to unlock the bootloader, in case you want to do that, follow this simple guide that will help you unlock the bootloader of LG V10. This guide will be catering to the rooting process. So without further ado, let’s get to the process of flashing TWRP recovery followed by Chainfire’s SUperSU in order to achieve root access.
Note: In order to proceed, you must have bootloader unlocked. For doing so, follow this guide.
Install TWRP and Root LG V10
- Download and install ADB installer from here.
- Download the TWRP recovery from here and place it in the adb folder. Rename the recovery to twrp.img.
- Download Chainfire’s SuperSu from here and copy it on your device.
- Enable Developer options by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the build number 7 times.
- Go to Settings > Developer options and enable USB debugging.
- Connect your LG V10 to your PC and open command prompt in the adb folder by pressing and holding the shift key and then pressing right click and choosing “Open command window here” from the dropdown menu.
- Type in the following command in order to restart your phone in the bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone restarts into the bootloader mode, enter the following command to flash the recovery:
fastboot flash twrp.img
- Once the recovery has been installed, your phone will be back in the bootloader mode type in the following command to enter recovery:
fastboot reboot recovery
- Once you’re in the recovery, navigate to the directory you placed the SuperSu.zip and select it.
- Swipe to install and reboot your phone.
- If you’re using the system-less version of SuperSu, TWRP will ask you to install SuperSU when you restart your device, simply choose “Do not install”. Doing otherwise might brick your device.
That was all, folks. You have successfully installed a custom recovery on your LG V10 and gained root access. In case you faced any issue, let us know.