Google Pixel 2 is Google’s own product, therefore, it receives very fast updates. Pixel 2 has already received Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo update and we have already shared the guide on How to update Google Pixel 2 to Android 8.1 Oreo OPM1 Feb 2018 Firmware. Anyhow, as soon as you update your Google Pixel to Android 8.1 Oreo OPM1 Feb 2018 you lose the root access. Which means you will have to root your device all over again. Luckily, we are here to help and in this guide, we will tell you how to root Google Pixel 2 on Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo.
This is a monthly update of February 2018 released by Google. Monthly updates by Google for Google Pixel devices incorporates small fixes and security patches. These might not bring new exciting features but they are really important in terms of security and stability. Therefore, don’t worry about losing root access, update your Google Pixel 2 to Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo. And follow the guide given below to root Google Pixel 2 on Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo.
Things to Remember Before You Proceed
- This root method is only for Google Pixel 2 running on Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo.
- Your Google Pixel 2 Bootloader must be unlocked.
- Pixel 2 must be running on latest Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Latest Google Pixel 2 USB Drivers on your PC.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings> Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Download Android SDK
- Download Fastboot from below link depending on your OS
- Download MagiskManager-v5.5.3.apk directly to your phone.
How To Root Google Pixel 2 on Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo
- Download Android SDK and install in on your PC.
- Download Fastboot from above-mentioned links according to your OS. After downloading extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
- Download MagiskManager-v5.5.3 directly to your phone from the link given above.
- Download the Android 8.1 Oreo boot image taken from the official firmware and transfer it to your phone.
- Now locate MagiskManager-v5.5.3.apk on your Google Pixel 2 Device and install it.
- Once installed, launch Magisk Manager and click on “Install”. After you click on Install, it will ask you to locate the boot image. Locate the Android 8.1 Oreo boot image and select it.
- Magisk Manager will now patch this boot image.
- Copy the patched boot image to your PC. Patched boot image will be placed at /sdcard/MagiskManager.
- Now go to the directory android-sdk-windows\platform-tools and in the same Windows Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Connect your Google Pixel 2 to the PC and issue the following command.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Once your Google Pixel 2 in rebooted in Bootloader mode. Issue the following two commands to flash the patched boot image.
- fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- fastboot reboot
That’s it! This is how to root Google Pixel 2 on Android 8.1 OPM1 Feb 2018 Oreo.