Huawei P9 Plus was launched back in April 2016. As soon as it hit the shelves P9 Plus became the market sensation because of its reasonable price tag and excellent hardware it had to offer. Huawei P9 Plus has a crisp 5.5″ Full HD Screen and a powerful Non-removable 3400 mAh battery to keep the device up and running for a day. Moreover, it has an Octa-Core processor with 4GB of RAM and a pretty decent 12 MP camera. P9 Plus came with Marshmallow out of the box with the planned upgrade to Nougat 7.0.
Like every other Android Device, P9 Plus comes with stock recovery installed. But for users who need something extra, stock recovery is not enough. To install Custom ROMs and flashable zips you need to have a Custom Recovery installed. There are two most popular Custom Recoveries available in the market, TWRP and CWM. Here we will see how to install TWRP on Huawei P9 Plus.
- Make sure the bootloader on your device is unlocked.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings>About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Backup all important data as while installing TWRP you might lose the data.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during the installation of TWRP.
- DownloadFastboot / ADB package for Windows
- Download TWRP (twrp-3.1.0-0-vienna.img)
- Download SuperSU Root
How to Install TWRP 3.1.0 on Huawei P9 Plus.
- Extract the downloaded Fastboot / ADB package anywhere in the Windows.
- Now connect your Huawei P9 Plus with the computer via USB Cable.
- Download TWRP (twrp-3.1.0-0-vienna.img) and save it in the same directory where you extracted Fastboot / ADB package files.
- Go to the same directory now where you have Fastboot and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Type in the following command and press Enter.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your Huawei P9 Plus will now boot into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is bootloader mode, simply type in the following command and press enter.
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.0-0-vienna.img
That’s it! TWRP is now installed on your Huawei P9 Plus. Now you need to Root Huawei P9 Plus. Rooting the device gives you admin access and enables you to play with the core of Android OS. You can install Custom ROMs and make a lot of customizations. Here’s a complete guide which will tell step by step how to root Huawei P9 Plus.
How to Root Huawei P9 Plus
- Download SuperSU Zip file.
- Move the downloaded Zip file to your device.
- Now boot your device into Recovery Mode. To do so, Turn Off your device and then boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons simultaneously.
- You will see TWRP Recovery as earlier you installed TWRP Custom Recovery.
- Tap on Install and select the SuperSU zip file which you transferred to the device.
- Swipe right to confirm. This will start the installation process.
- After installation is completed, select Wipe Dalvik/Cache.
- Finally, reboot the device.
That’s it! Your Huawei P9 Plus is rooted now.