Sony Xperia Z which was launched back in February 2013 has received a new firmware update via custom ROM. The new firmware updates the device to Android 7.1.2 Nougat. This new XOSP N Nougat custom ROM comes with all Android 7.1.2 Nougat features including Sony’s exclusive apps like Music, Album, Videos, Camera 2.0 and a lot more. We have tested this ROM on Xperia Z and it worked flawlessly and there are no bugs in it. If you own Xperia Z and want to update your device to Android 7.1.2 Nougat via XOSP N Nougat custom ROM then you need to follow our detailed guide. But before proceeding, we need to remind our readers that this ROM is a custom ROM and is not officially released by Sony.
If you are still interested and want to update Xperia Z to Android 7.1.2 Nougat then follow the steps below.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must be rooted and have ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery installed.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install latest Sony Xperia Z USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Install XOSP Android 7.1.2 Nougat Custom ROM On Sony Xperia Z:
We have tried to keep it very simple, for that reason we have put the guide step by step. You just need to follow every step carefully.
- Download XOSP Android 7.1.2 Nougat custom ROM for Xperia Z and Google Apps for Xperia Z to your computer.
- Connect your Xperia Z to the computer using USB cable.
- Copy/Paste Android 7.1.2 ROM and Gapps zip files to your SD Card. Make sure to place files on the root of SD Card and not in any folder.
- Then turn off your device and disconnect the USB Cable.
- Now get into recovery mode. To do so, turn On the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home +Power Button together.
- In recovery mode perform a full data wipe by selecting wipe Data/factory reset. Use volume rockers for navigation and power button for option selection.
- Now, go to Advanced Option and clear the cache by selecting wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- After performing Step 6 and 7, navigate back to the main recovery mode screen and select install zip from SD card.
- Now choose the Android 7.1.2 firmware file, which you copied to your SD Card, and start the installation process.
- Repeat the same process for installing GAPPS after you are done with Step 9.
- That’s it! Now simply navigate to Recovery Mode Main Screen and select “Reboot System Now”. First boot can take up to five minutes.
You have successfully installed Android 7.1.2 Nougat on Xperia Z.
If you have any questions or stuck at any point do let us know in the comments.