In this Android tutorial, we will tell you How to Install TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+. A couple of days ago, we reported that Galaxy S9/S9+ Kernel Source Code is available for download. In the light of its availability, we also predicted a port of TWRP Custom Recovery to Galaxy S9/S9+. The same has happened already, TWRP is now available for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+, and you can flash it on your Galaxy S9/S9+ pretty easily. Now that after going through our article you will be able to flash TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+, it means that after this you can also Root your Galaxy S9/S9+.
TWRP is a custom recovery which replaces stock recovery which comes by default with the smartphone. Now the power Android users don’t like Stock recovery as it is developed to perform basic function only. It doesn’t give you power over the Android OS. Therefore, the users who like to go the extra mile and love tinker with Android OS often resort to Custom Recoveries. The most famous one is TWRP Custom Recovery, and you will learn ahead how to install TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+.
After you flash TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+, you can install the Xposed framework, backup EFS Partition, take backup of NANDroid and all other partitions. Then there is the wipe option which allows wiping Dalvik Cache along with other partitions individually. Moreover, with the help of TWRP, you can flash custom ROMs on Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+. Since TWRP comes with its own terminal, you can use it sideload apps.
There are many advantages attached to the installation TWRP Custom Recovery. Therefore, if you want to install TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9 then heed instructions given in the guide below.
Note: This guide is only meant for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ Exynos Variants. Galaxy S9 G960F/FD/N and S9 Plus G965F/FD/N.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Latest Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- You must enable “OEM Unlock” (located in Developers Options) before you do anything.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Install TWRP on Galaxy S9/S9+
The process is same for both Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus. In this guide, we will install TWRP on Galaxy S9 (G960F/FD/N).
- First download above mentioned files on your PC.
- Extract the TWRP for Galaxy S9 (G960F/FD/N) file to get the file with .tar extension and Odin flashing tool to get the Odin file.
- Now boot your phone into download mode.
- To boot Galaxy S9/S9+ into Download Mode, Turn off your phone. Once it’s fully off, press and hold the Bixby and Volume Down button and then press the Power button. The phone will boot into Download Mode. Now, press Volume Up key to continue!
- Run Odin as administrator on PC.
- Now connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Once the Galaxy S9 is connected successfully to the PC, the ID: COM port will turn Yellow on Odin, and you’ll see “Added!!”
- Click on the AP button on Odin and locate the recovery file which you extracted earlier. Once located, select it.
- Make sure that only F.Reset Time option is checked and Re-Partition option should be unchecked.
- Now click on the Start button in Odin to initiate the installation process of TWRP on Galaxy S9.
- A PASS! message will appear once the installation of TWRP on Galaxy S9 is successful. The device will restart now.
- Disconnect the device from PC and turn it off to boot it in TWRP Recovery mode.
- Now boot your Galaxy S9 into recovery mode.
- In the main menu of TWRP recovery, tap Wipe >> Format Data.
- Once data is formatted, go the main menu of TWRP Recovery. And connect your phone to the PC.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect your phone from PC.
- In TWRP’s home-screen, tap Install >> Install IMG >> IMAGE >> locate the patched boot image file and flash it.
That’s it! TWRP is installed on your Galaxy S9/S9+.