Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge (SM-G920F & SM-G925F) are already receiving Nougat updates. If you haven’t received it in your area then you can update Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge to Android 7.0 Nougat manually. However, after flashing the stock Android 7.0 Nougat on your S6 and S6 Edge you will lose the root capability. Today we will guide you How to Root Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge on Stock Android 7.0 Nougat Firmware. Our root method is tested with the SM-G920F & SM-G925F on Android 7.0 with builds G920FXXU5EQAC, G920FXXU5EQBG. It is same for S6 Edge variants as well.
We will use a patched version of SuperSU, to root Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge on Android 7.0 Nougat, since the official SuperSU 2.79 is creating bootloop problems for many users. Therefore, we decided to use the patched version. However, we will still give the download link for official SuperSU 2.79.
So, if you are interested in rooting your Galaxy A9 and install TWRP then follow our simple and complete guide below.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Download Latest Odin
- Download Patched SuperSU (To Avoid Bootloops)
- Download SuperSU 2.79
- Download TWRP for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge (SM-G920F & SM-G925F) on Official Android 7.0 Nougat
- First download above mentioned files on your PC.
- Copy/Paste SuperSU Patched file on internal storage of Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge
- Extract the TWRP file to get the file with .tar extension and Odin flashing tool to get the Odin file.
- Now switch off your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge to boot into Download Mode.
- Switch on your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time. Keep them pressed until the screen with a Yellow Triangle Warning sign appears, now leave the buttons and press Volume Up button again to enter the Download Mode.
- Run Odin as administrator on PC.
- Now connect your phone with computer using a USB cable.
- Once the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge is connected successfully with the PC, the ID: COM port will turn Blue on Odin, and you’ll see “Added!” message.
- Click on the AP button on Odin and locate the TWRP tar file which you extracted earlier. Once located, select it.
- Make sure that the Auto Reboot and F . Reset Time options are checked and Re-Partition option should be unchecked.
- Now click on the Start button in Odin to initiate the installation process of TWRP on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.
- A PASS! message will appear once the installation of TWRP on Galaxy S6/S6 Edge is successful. The device will restart now.
- Disconnect the device from PC and turn it off to boot it in TWRP Recovery mode.
- Turn ON the phone by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons altogether to boot into the TWRP recovery.
- Tap the Install button in TWRP and select the patched SuperSU file.
- After the installation is complete head over to main recovery menu and reboot your device.
That’s it! You have successfully rooted your Galaxy S6/S6 Edge on official Android 7.0 Nougat firmware.