Xiaomi Mi A1 is the only smartphone ever released by Xiaomi which comes under Android One project. Means the smartphone comes with the stock Android and zero bloatware. This automatically makes the device much faster than other devices having the similar hardware. However, this doesn’t mean that people wouldn’t want to root Xiaomi Mi A1 to unleash the true potential of the device. Many people fear that after rooting they would stop receiving OTA update. But you don’t have to worry about this issue anymore because in this article we are going to tell you How to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Oreo without disabling OTA updates.
This is a very easy process to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Oreo without disabling OTA updates. But still, we would recommend that you backup all your important data before proceeding. Also, please proceed at your own risk. Android Tutorial won’t be responsible if things go south.
- Setup and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on Your PC.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Download and Install Xiaomi Mi A1 USB Drivers.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Unlock bootloader on your Xiaomi Mi A1. (See Point 4 of guide)
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during unlock procedure. This might damage your device permanently.
- Magisk Manager APK
- Patched Mi A1 boot image –December Security patch
- Patched Mi A1 boot image –January security patch
How to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Oreo Without Disabling OTA Updates
- Download patched Mi A1 boot image file and extract it to get img file.
- Now, connect your Mi A1 to your computer.
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). And type in the following command and press Enter to reboot your phone in fastboot mode: adb reboot bootloader
- Now it’s time to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Mi A1. Enter the following command to unlock the bootloader: fastboot oem unlock
- Disconnect and reboot your phone now. Connect your phone to the PC again and reboot it in fastboot mode.
- Enter the following command to boot the patched boot image: C:\Users\username\Desktop\patched_boot.img (If you have saved the boot img file somewhere else then choose that path)
- Your phone will now boot up with the patched boot img file
- Once the phone is up with patched boot img, download and install the Magisk Manager APK.
- Launch Magisk Manager and select INSTALL from the pop-up and then choose direct install to install Magisk.
That’s it! Now you know How to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Oreo Without Disabling OTA Updates.