Huawei released P8 Lite 2017 back in January 2017. The device became a hit in the market and was immediately followed by another amazing budget phone Huawei P10 Lite. The P10 Lite was not a very big upgrade over P8 Lite 2017, the notable differences were a slightly better chipset and a better camera. However, the big change came in the shape of the software. Huawei P8 Lite 2017 came with Emotion 5.0 UI which was based on Android 7.0 Nougat. Whereas the Huawei P10 Lite came with EMUI 8.0 also based on Android 7.0 Nougat with a promised upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo. Anyhow, the good news here is that TWRP Custom Recovery is now available for Huawei P10 Lite. In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you how to install TWRP on Huawei P10 Lite.
If you want to root Huawei P10 Lite and install different types of Custom ROMs on it than first you need to install TWRP on your Huawei P10 Lite. As without a custom recovery installed on your Huawei P10 Lite you can forget any type of customization. But to be enabled to install TWRP Custom Recovery first you need Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P10 Lite. Therefore, our guide will start with the procedure to unlock bootloader on Huawei P10 Lite. Once you have successfully unlocked the bootloader then you can go on and follow the steps to install TWRP on Huawei P10 Lite.
- Make sure the ADB, Fastboot and USB Drivers are installed on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Backup all important data as unlocking bootloader on Huawei P10 Lite will delete all data.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during unlock procedure. This might damage your device permanently.
- Note down the IMEI number and serial number in Settings > About > Status.
- Dial *#*#1357946#*#* on your phone and Note down the Product ID.
Get Unlock Code to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P10 Lite
- Signup/Login on Huawei’s unlock website.
- Go to Downloads and select Unlock Bootloader.
- Here fill the form using all the information you noted down. (IMEI, Serial Number, and Product ID).
- After completing the form click on Commit and then you will see the unlock code. Note it down.
How to Unlock Bootloader On Huawei P10 Lite Using ADB:
- Now connect your Huawei P10 Lite to the PC.
- Next, go to ADB and Fastboot directory and open the command prompt there and type the following command.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone will reboot now and enter into the Bootloader Mode.
- Enter the following command to finally unlock bootloader on Huawei P10 Lite.
- fastboot oem unlock [unlock code]
That’s it! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Huawei P10 Lite.
Now that you have the unlocked bootloader. Its’ time to install TWRP on Huawei P10 Lite. After successfully installing TWRP Custom Recovery on your Huawei P10 Lite, you will be able to try all types of Custom Roms available on the internet for your device.
How to Install TWRP on Huawei P10 Lite
- Connect your Huawei P10 Lite with the computer via USB Cable.
- Download TWRP recovery .img file and save it in the same directory where you extracted Fastboot / ADB package files. Rename the file to recovery.img
- Next, go to the same directory where you have Fastboot/ADB and recovery.img on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Type in the following command and press Enter.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your Huawei P10 Lite will now boot into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply type in the following command and press enter.
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
That’s it! TWRP is now installed on your Huawei P10 Lite.