In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you How to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge. You must be shocked after seeing this title, as there was no mention of Galaxy S7/S7 Edge for the Samsung Devices which were supposed to be updated to Android 9.0. Your shock is justified, as officially Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge both devices received Android Oreo as the last OS upgrade. Having said that, you can now enjoy Samsung One UI based on Android 9.0 Pie on your Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge. Android 9.0 Pie is available for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge in form of a port. A senior XDA member Kill-Switch has successfully ported Samsung Galaxy FE’s One UI ROM to Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
This is not an official Android 9.0 Pie version for Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, but it’s a port which is good enough to give a chance. It supports One UI’s new design elements within Samsung’s system apps like Messages and dialer app as well as the new launcher and the Quick Settings tray. Support for software button seems to be unavailable since the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge features a physical home button and capacitive buttons for back and multitasking.
The port also supports Samsung’s official camera app including features like Bixby Vision and AR stickers. There are also some things which don’t work perfectly as the port is still in its beta phase. This includes mobile hotspot, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Mobile hotspot doesn’t work at all and for Wi-Fi, you need to enable it manually every time you restart the device. In case of Bluetooth, to turn it on you need to first disconnect the Wi-Fi, then connect Bluetooth device, and then re-connect Wi-Fi again.
Other than the above-mentioned everything works just fine with the port. And hopefully, the things which don’t work perfectly will get fixed with the future updates.
Note: This port is only meant for Exynos Variant of Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. Do not try it on Snapdragon Variant.
- TWRP must be installed on your Galaxy S7/S7 Edge.
- The bootloader must be unlocked.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download Galaxy S7/S7Edge USB Drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Install Android 9.0 Pie on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge
- Download the ROM from the link given above and copy the ROM zip to your SD Card.
- Now boot your device into TWRP Recovery Mode. To do so, Press and hold “Volume UP+ Power + Home” button together and as soon as you see the Galaxy S7 Boot logo, release all three buttons.
- When you see an exclamation mark on screen, press and hold Power button and hit the Volume Up button for once.
- Once in TWRP perform these wipes (Internal memory,system,data,dalvik,cache).
- Now go to the home-screen of TWRP Recovery and tap on ‘Install’.
- Select the ROM zip file and Swipe to Flash the ROM.
- In Aroma select full wipe too and then do the AROMA setup.
- Now let the ROM boot.
- If you selected magisk in aroma you will need to do 2 reboots.
- Do the setup and download your apps.
There you go. Enjoy Android 9.0 Pie on Galaxy S7/S7 Edge.