The Exynos variant of the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ already has TWRP available for it and we have already covered How to Install TWRP on Galaxy S8/S8+ Exynos variant. But the Snapdragon variant wasn’t lucky enough until now, but the drought for users owning Snapdragon variant in China and Hong Kong is finally over. Thanks to the XDA dev jesec, now you can install TWRP on Galaxy S8/S8+ Chinese/HK Snapdragon variant and root the device as well. Unfortunately, this guide is not for U.S Snapdragon variants so the users in U.S have to wait.
So, if you want to install TWRP and root your Galaxy S8/Galaxy S8+ Snapdragon Variant then follow below guide carefully and within 10 to 15 minutes you will have TWRP Recovery installed on your Galaxy S8/S8+.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Latest Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Galaxy S8 (dreamqlte – Snapdragon vaiant)
- Galaxy S8+ (dream2qlte – Snapdragon variant)
- Magisk Manager
- Semi-stock kernel
- dm-verity and force encryption disabler
Unlock your Galaxy S8/S8+
- Chinese/HK Snapdragon variants don’t have OEM unlock option so you will only need to disable the reactivation lock. That is in case you have signed in with a Samsung account on the device and enabled it.
- To disable the reactivation lock go to Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Accounts, here select your Samsung account then open the menu and remove the account.
- Now, download and install CROM Service on your Galaxy S8. Once the tool is installed, launch it and it should unlock your Galaxy S8.
Install TWRP on Galaxy S8/S8+
- First download above mentioned files on your PC.
- Extract the TWRP for Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ file to get the file with .tar extension and Odin flashing tool to get the Odin file.
- Now boot your phone into download mode.
- To boot Galaxy S8/S8+ into Download Mode, Turn your phone off. Once it’s fully off, press and hold the Bixby and Volume Down button and then press the Power button. The phone will boot into Download Mode. Now, press Volume Up key to continue!
- Run Odin as administrator on PC.
- Now connect your phone with computer using a USB cable.
- Once the Galaxy S8 is connected successfully with the PC, the ID: COM port will turn Yellow on Odin, and you’ll see “Added!!”
- Click on the AP button on Odin and locate the file twrp-3.1.0-r1_dreamlteks.tar which you extracted earlier. Once located, select it.
- Make sure that the Auto Reboot and F . Reset Time options are checked and Re-Partition option should be unchecked.
- Now click on the Start button in Odin to initiate the installation process of TWRP on Galaxy S8.
- A PASS! message will appear once the installation of TWRP on Galaxy S8is successful. The device will restart now.
- Disconnect the device from PC and turn it off to boot it in TWRP Recovery mode.
- Accessing the recovery mode in Galaxy S8/s8+is pretty easy. All you need to do is to turn your device completely off. Once it’s off, press and hold the Bixby and Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Once the phone turned on, leave the Power button and keep the Bixby and Volume Up button Let go every button once you see the blue screen with Android logo.
- In the recovery, select Wipe > Format Data and then type Yes to continue.
- Now download dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip and transfer it your device using the USB cable.
- Now tap Install in the TWRP menu and select the dm-verity and force encryption disabler Swipe and flash the zip. After the package is flashed simply restart your phone and keep using it without root, should you decide not to root the device?
Root Galaxy S8
Samsung upped its security game by implementing some additional security layers on Galaxy S8. So, it’s not possible to root Galaxy S8 on the stock kernel or even on a modified stock kernel. But worry not, jesec has taken care of it as well, he has a custom kernel with security features disabled. Therefore, if you want to Root Snapdragon variant of Galaxy S8 then follow below guide.
- Download the Semi-stock kernel and Magisk flashable zips from the downloads section.
- Now move the zip files to your phone via USB cable.
- Now boot your device into recovery mode and in TWRP menu tap on Install and then tap on Add more zips.
- Here select Magisk flashable zip which you moved in Step 1.
- Swipe to start the installation process.
- When the installation is completed, Reboot your device.
- As soon as your device is up, download and install the Magisk Manager APK from the downloads section. And that’s it! You are good to go.
At this point, TWRP is installed on your Galaxy S8/S8+ and you also have the root access.