The Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL features a squeeze gesture to launch Google Assistant or silent incoming calls. Earlier HTC introduced such feature in HTC U11 and it was called HTC Sense. The developers were working hard to remap squeeze gesture in Google Pixel 2 and they thought that it’s impossible to remap squeeze gesture on Google Pixel 2. But thanks to an Android developer flar2 it’s now possible to remap squeeze gesture on Google Pixel 2. You can make it open Chrome, WhatsApp, Facebook, or the Camera, for example, or use it as a toggle for silent mode, perhaps.
To remap squeeze gesture on Google Pixel 2 you don’t need any root access. It can be done by a simple installation of an App called Button Mapper: Remap your keys. This is just a workaround and might not be the perfect solution. This method can slow your device a little bit, but to be honest, if you opt for this method it won’t make a noticeable difference in the device snappiness.
Therefore, without any further ado, let’s jump straight to the guide remap squeeze gesture on Google Pixel 2.
How to Remap Squeeze Gesture / Active Edge on Google Pixel 2
- First of all, download and install the latest version 0.53 of Button Mapper from Google Play Store.
- Next, make sure that Active Edge is enabled on your phone.
- Open the Button Mapper and go through the setup pages.
- At the bottom, you should see a Tiny bar, called a Snackbar, which asks you to enable Button Mapper’s Accessibility Service. Tap Go and it will take you directly to the Accessibility Service page for Button Mapper. Enable Button Mapper’s Accessibility service.
- Now you will be automatically directed to Button Mapper app. Under Buttons, find the option for Active Edge. Tap Customize.
- Here your app will ask you to connect your phone to the computer via USB cable and run a script.
- In order to run the script, ADB/Fastboot must be set up on your computer. Click here to find how to setup ADB.
- Once, ADB is set up open up a command prompt in the directory of ADB. And enter the below command.
- db shell sh/data/data/flar2.homebutton/keyevent.sh
- After the script is run successfully, Button Mapper will ask you to restart the application. Tap the button to let it restart the app.
- Once your device is up again open the Button Mapper and Tap on Active Edge under the Buttons header. You can now choose any app to be triggered on squeeze gesture.
That’s it! You have successfully remapped squeeze gesture on Google Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL.