Finally, we are able to root Sony Xperia XZ1. This smartphone was released back in August 2017 by Sony but only today after 4 to 5 months of the launch we are able to root Sony Xperia XZ1. Once again, this possibility of rooting Xperia XZ1 comes from the dedicated XDA developers, N1ghtr08d, modpunk, and aledoom. N1ghtr08d laid used modpunk’s modified TWRP recovery and aledoom’s custom kernel port for the Xperia XZ1 to root Sony Xperia XZ1. However, to root Sony Xperia XZ1 and install TWRP on it you need to have an unlocked bootloader on Sony Xperia XZ1. Unlocking bootloader will void your device’s warranty. But it’s essential if you want to root and install TWRP on Xperia XZ1.
Therefore, without any further ado, lets jump straight to the guide on How to Root Sony Xperia XZ1 and Install TWRP on it.
- Unlock Bootloader on Xperia XZ1.
- Enable Developer Options, to do this go to Settings>About Phone. From here tap on build number 6 to 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options.
- Install Sony Xperia XZ1 USB drivers.
- Enable OEM Unlocking by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Backup all important data as while installing TWRP you might lose the data.
- Make sure your device is charged up to 60% to avoid any shutdowns during the installation of TWRP.
- TWRP for Sony Xperia XZ1
- Andro+ Kernel port for Xperia XZ1
- Magisk v14.5
- Download Fastboot / ADB package for Windows
How to Root Sony Xperia XZ1 and Install TWRP On It
- Extract the downloaded Fastboot / ADB package anywhere in the Windows.
- Now connect your Sony Xperia XZ1 with the computer via USB Cable.
- Download TWRP for Sony Xperia XZ1 from the above link and rename downloaded file to twrp.img. Also, download the kernel image (boot.img) from above. Save both files in the same directory where you extracted Fastboot / ADB package files.
- Next, go to the same directory where you have Fastboot/ADB and recovery.img on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Type in the following command and press Enter.
- adb reboot bootloader
- Your Sony Xperia XZ1 will now boot into bootloader mode.
- Once your phone is in bootloader mode, simply type in the following commands and press enter.
- fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash FOTAKernel boot.img
TWRP is installed on your Sony Xperia XZ1. Now it’s time to root your device.
Root Sony Xperia XZ1
- First of all, turn off your device and boot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power button and the Volume down button together. Once the device vibrates let go of the Power button but keep holding the Volume down button until you see the TWRP splash screen.
- Now you need to put in your pin/password in order to decrypt the data partition. If you are not using any pin or password then use the default password which would be:
- Now connect your device to the PC and transfer the Magisk v14.5 flashable zip on the storage of your device.
- Once transferred, head back to the main menu of TWRP and tap on Install and select the Magisk flashable zip.
- Once selected Swipe at the bottom to flash Magisk.
That’s it! Now you have a rooted Sony Xperia XZ1 with TWRP installed on it.