Andy Rubin’s Essential PH-1 is all set to received Android 8.0 Oreo update. Android 8.0 Oreo beta program is already launched and you can enroll in it to get your update. You can download Android 8.0 Oreo beta update from this post. We have also compiled a complete guide on How to update Essential PH-1 to Android 8.0 Oreo beta. Essential PH-1 came with Android Nougat out of the box but there were a lot of issues with the software for users liking. Also their camera app had way too many issues, but there vigilant team of developers worked really hard to update the camera app and removed most of the bugs. Therefore, if you are facing performance issues with Android Nougat then it’s to update Essential PH-1 to Android 8.0 Oreo beta.
However, it’s a beta release so you may face some issues and bugs. But it’s worth updating to Android 8.0 Oreo beta. Below is an excerpt from Essential beta builds release notes:
“The Oreo Beta is pre-release software that may contain software bugs. We welcome and encourage you to let us know about issues you experience via our online form; however, our support team will not be equipped to troubleshoot any software issues that you may encounter on the Oreo Beta. If you decide that you don’t want to continue on the Oreo Beta, you can download and revert back to the latest production software build from the Current Builds section of this site. As noted below, downloading the Oreo Beta from us will not affect your Essential Limited Warranty rights, but may affect the terms of any third party warranty you may have.”
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Latest Essential PH-1 USB drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Setup and install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Download Essential PH-1 Android Oreo Beta (PH1-OTA-OPM1.170911.130.zip)
How to Update Essential PH-1 to Android 8.0 Oreo beta
- Download PH1-OTA-OPM1.170911.130.zip file from the ‘Downloads’ section.
- Connect the device to your PC via a USB cable.
- Go to ADB and Fastboot folder and open the command prompt there. Hold shift key + Right click> Select Open Command Window here.
- Boot your phone into recovery mode by pushing the following adb command: adb reboot recovery
- Once in recovery mode, hold the Power button, then press the Volume Up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
- Now enter adb devices in command prompt. This command will return your device name. Make sure sideload appears next to it.
- Use the following command to sideload the update zip on your Essential PH-1: adb sideload <path to>PH1-OTA-OPM1.170911.130.zip
Replace <path to> with the path where you placed the update file.
That’s it! The update will take some time to get installed. So, don’t worry! Once it’s installed, simply reboot your device and enjoy Android 8.0 Oreo beta on your Essential phone.