Google recently unveiled Android 8.0 Oreo in an event held in New York. Initially, Android 8.0 Oreo is rolled out for Pixel and Nexus devices. Other devices will also start getting updates of Android 8.0 Oreo, here is the list of devices to get Android 8.0 Oreo update. However, thanks to a Senior XDA Member lukasb06 you can now install Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S6. It’s an unofficial AOSP custom ROM but it’s quite stable and could be used as a daily driver. By updating your Galaxy S6 to Android 8.0 Oreo you can enjoy all the latest features of Oreo on your Samsung Galaxy S6. Android Oreo has brought many improvements along with some very handy features like revamped notifications system, Pip (Picture in Picture) and Autofill APIs.
This is not an official release by Samsung, therefore, to update your Galaxy S6 to Android 8.0 Oreo you need to have the root access and TWRP must be installed on your device.
So, if you are ready to install Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S6 then follow our step by step guide carefully. Without any further ado, let’s jump straight to the guide on How to install Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S6.
ANDROIDTUTORIAL.NET WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY KIND OF DAMAGE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Your device must be rooted and TWRP recovery must be installed.
- The bootloader on Samsung Galaxy S6 must be unlocked.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download Samsung Galaxy S6 USB Drivers on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings> Developer Options.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Galaxy S6
We have tried to keep to very simple, for that reason we have put the guide step by step. You just need to follow every step carefully.
- Download Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM and GAPPS on your computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S6 with the computer using USB cable.
- Copy/Paste Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM and Gapps.zip files to your SD Card. Make sure to place files on the root of SD Card and not in any folder.
- Then turn off your device and disconnect the USB Cable.
- Now get into recovery mode. Turn On the phone while pressing and holding Volume Up + Power Buttons Keep the buttons pressed until you see Android Logo on your screen.
- Then in recovery go to Wipe And Format Option > Wipe Data, Cache And Dalvik Cache via recovery.
- Now, go back to main recovery menu and tap “Install”.
- Now choose Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM zip file, which you copied to your SD Card, swipe the button below to initiate the flashing.
- Repeat the same process for installing GAPPS after you are done with Step 8.
- Once the process is complete, wipe Dalvik and cache again and reboot to boot into AOSP 8.0 on your Galaxy S6.
That’s it! You have successfully installed Android 8.0 OREO on Galaxy S6.