Dedicating a hardware key to a virtual assistant Bixby in Galaxy S8/S8+ was a very bold move by Samsung. Bold in sense, that Bixby would have been in direct competition with Google Assistant which is a product of a search giant. But still Samsung didn’t hesitate to dedicate hardware button to its very own Bixby. Many users thought that there was no need of another personal assistant when they had Google Assistant at their disposal. However, users accepted Bixby button and quickly found ways to remap it. Within no time developers and enthusiast found ways to remap Bixby button launch Google Assistant. We have already covered posts on how to remap Bixby button, but Samsung was quick to block the remapping of Bixby button. However, developers found other ways to bypass the block and remapping continued. Anyways, today, in this tutorial we will tell you How to Remap Bixby Button Manually on Galaxy S8/S8+ with Root.
With our method, you can remap Bixby button to many other options. It’s not limited to launching Google Assistant instead of Bixby. An XDA senior member, redplate, has recently penned down steps through which you can Remap Bixby Button Manually on Galaxy S8/S8+ with root. And he also laid down some options which you can use on Bixby button. So, without any further ado, lets straight jump to the guide on how to remap Bixby Button Manually on Galaxy S8/S8+ with Root.
How to Remap Bixby Button Manually on Galaxy S8/S8+ with Root
Before you start remapping of Bixby Button, remember that Keycode for Bixby Button is 703.
- First of all, install any root explorer on your device. I personally recommend ES File Explorer.
- Open file explorer and go to /system/usr/keylayout.
- Here kl to Generic.txt
- Now open this file with text editor.
- Search for 703 in Generic.txt. Search will get you the following entry “# input_fw Intelligent Key for Dream key 703 WAKE”. (Without Quotes)
- Now if you want the Bixby button to launch Camera app then change the entry to the following “# input_fw Intelligent Key for Dream key 703 CAMERA”. (Without quotes)
IMPORTANT: Rename the file back to Generic.kl, otherwise you won’t be able use any hardware keys after a reboot.
Some other possibilities with Bixby Button:
VOLUME_DOWN – sets volume down
VOLUME_UP – sets volume up
HOME – Homebutton
POWER – Powermenu
MUSIC – starts your favorite music player
CAMERA – starts camera app
APP_SWITCH – Recent apps button
VOICE_ASSIST – Google Assistent