In this Android Tutorial, we are going to tell you how to unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 4. Google has just launched its latest flagship devices — Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL. Google has already started shipping these phones and those who had pre-booked them must have got their hands on it already. Being Google phones, these Pixel devices come with Vanilla Android with minimum bloatware. The problem with customized Android experiences developed by OEMs is that they are bloated with stuff which we seldom use. So, people look for ways to remove the bloatware from Android.
Anyhow, bloatware isn’t the problem with Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL but still to have more power over the device we would love to root it, as soon as the appropriate support is available. And the first step to root or install the custom recovery on Google Pixel 4 is unlocking its bootloader. Therefore, following you will find a detailed guide on how to unlock bootloader on Google Pixel 4.
Why Unlock Bootloader?
Unlocking the bootloader on your Google Pixel 4 will give you complete power over the system. Once it’s unlocked you would be able to modify the system as you like. For obvious security reasons Google ship all its phones with a locked bootloader. Having said that, they have also made sure that if someone wants to unlock it, they could do it easily. The whole process is official, this doesn’t require any third-party apps. But still, our guide comes with the following disclaimer:
Android Tutorial is not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device during the process.
- Before proceeding any further backup all your important data like Emails, Messages, Personal Photos, and Videos.
- Download and install Google Pixel 4 USB Drivers on your Windows PC.
- Make sure USB Debugging mode is enabled on your Android Device. You can enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options.
- Also, Enable OEM Unlock option under Developer Options.
- Setup and Install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on Your PC.
- The device should be charged up to 70% to avoid any unexpected shutdowns. This is very important, any shutdown during the process can damage your device permanently.
Now that you have taken care of all of the things mentioned in the prerequisites section. You can now safely move forward and unlock bootloader on your Google Pixel 4 device by following our step-by-step guide.
Note: This guide is only meant to be used on Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL
- Connect your Google Pixel 4 to the PC using the original USB cable. We always recommend using a genuine or at least a very high-quality USB cable for such operations. Any loss of connection between the phone and computer during the process can damage your device permanently.
- Next, go to ADB and Fastboot directory and open the command prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command and press Enter:
- adb reboot bootloader
- Now, wait for your phone to reboot to bootloader. If it doesn’t redo the previous steps again. Make sure you have followed everything laid down in shape of points in the Prerequisites section.
- Once it does, execute the following command:
- fastboot flashing unlock
- After executing the above command, your phone should display a prompt. Press the Power Button to confirm!
- If your phone doesn’t reboot automatically, don’t worry. Go ahead and execute the following command:
- adb reboot
- The above command will reboot your phone.
That’s it! You have successfully unlocked bootloader on your Google Pixel 4.
More Interesting Stuff about Google Pixel 4:
- How to keep Google Pixel 4 at 90hz Refresh Rate All The Time
- Detail Specs of Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL
- How to get Google Pixel 4 Free
- Download Google Pixel 4 official wallpapers
- Download Pixel 4 Launcher for other Android Devices
- How to enable Google Pixel 4 Astrophotography feature